Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sailor Moon Book Tag

I haven't posted in a while; so, I figured the easiest way to get back into this would be to do a tag. I saw the Sailor Moon tag on Youtube and thought it would be fun! I will try to include books I've read more recently. Here is the original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2-in7h5SY0&feature=youtu.be
Moon: A book that makes you hungry - I'm going to be unimaginative and say The Afternoon Tea Collection by Pamela Clark. Plenty of yummy things to bake in here.

Mercury: A book that features science and technology
Alex + Ada by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn. I've only read volume 1 of this comic book series so far, but I really enjoyed it. Alex gets Ada, an AI designed to cater to her client's every need, after a rough break-up. Alex is lonely and craves a relationship with someone with a personality who actually spends time with him of his own free will. So, he investigates on how to give Ada sentience.
Venus: A book that makes you want to play video games - After Dark by Haruki Murakami. I read this book in 2015 and found it as a recommendation for people who like Persona 4, the video game. It's an atmospheric book that takes place completely at night, as the title suggests. I think the main reason it was recommended is because of the ability to go into the television.
Mars: A book inspired by mythology or folklore - Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann and Kerascoet. This is a graphic novel that gives a classic fairy tale a disturbing twist. Princess Aurora is on the verge of getting engaged to her Prince Charming when the corpse of the girl she's living in starts decaying. Various small characters come crawling out of the corpse and wreak havoc on each other. It's completely unsettling, with cute illustrations that makes it even creepier. 
Jupiter: A book that gave you strong feelings - Dracula by Bram Stoker. This is my favorite book I've read this year so far and one of my favorite books in general. This is beautifully written, suspenseful, dark, imaginative, and fully developed. I need to read more Gothic literature. 

Saturn: A post apocalyptic book you love - The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster. I think this is the only post apocalyptic work I've ever read. It's a short story that takes place in the future after Earth has stopped being able to support human life. So, everyone lives underground in separate cells where they communicate solely through technology. Sci-fi by E.M. Forster! 
Pluto: A time travel book - As much as I love time travel, I haven't actually read a time travel book in a long time.  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling was one of my favorite books of the series. I have several time travel books on my to-read list, including A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain,  Kindred by Octavia Butler, and Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, and A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab.
Uranus: A book featuring elemental magic - Again, I haven't read many of these books, but I did enjoy The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale when I read it many years ago.

Neptune: A book featuring music - The Commitments by Roddy Doyle - A fun, light read about about a group of Irish teenagers who form a soul group! Also, Beatlebone by Kevin Barry - Featuring John Lennon and Scream therapy.

Tuxedo Mask: A book with masquerades or hidden identities
- I don't think I've actually read any of these books, but I saw Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie on a list for these kinds of books. I'm currently reading this books and absolutely loving it. More on this book later.
Rini/Chibi Moon: A favorite middle grade book - Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine and Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. 

Luna, Artemis & Diana: A book for animal lovers - Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon and Mu by Junji Ito. Junji Ito is an acclaimed horror mangaka (my favorite of his works is Uzumaki!). The combination of cats and horror-style illustrations is hilarious. All cat lovers need to read this! Totally relatable.

Can you tell that I got lazier as the list went on?

No comments:

Post a Comment