Pages

Monday, August 15, 2016

"BookTube-A-Thon" - What I Read Pt. 2

Here are the rest of the books I read for the read-a-thon:


5/Read a book that is older than you & 6/ Read and watch a book-to-movie adaptation. - The book I read for these challenges was Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. I didn't watch the movie and after seeing the reviews, I probably won't be watching it at all. I've always been a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland. So silly, so nonsensical, so whimsical. A dream world. I love it. I don't really have anything else to say about this. Rating: Really Good


7/ Read seven books. - As I said in my last post, I read 20 books for the read-a-thon, but that was heavily padded with graphic novels and a few poetry books. There are quite a few books that fall under this challenge and I won't be fully reviewing all of them because I don't have that much to say about them. The book I finished for this challenge was Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. This is the first book in the Imperial Radch sci-fi trilogy. This is a complicated book that does interesting things with artificial intelligence and gender. We begin the book as Breq, an AI that used to be an entire ship, the Justice of Toren, stumbles across someone she vaguely remembers lying in the snow, having overdosed. There is not much more I can say about the plot without spoiling it. The book is very confusing at first because we are placed right at the end of Breq's "mission," which is slowly revealed to us through flashbacks. I will be continuing with this series! Rating: Really Good, almost amazing


I read I Remember Beirut by Zeina Abirached, a graphic novel about the author's experience growing up during a time of turmoil between Muslims and Christians. I enjoyed the artwork, but I wished it had more of a narrative. Overall, I enjoyed it. Rating: Good


I also read Pretty Deadly, vol 1: The Shrike by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios. I wish I could give you a description of what it's about, but the truth is I had no idea what was going on while I was reading it. The illustrations are not bad, but there is just too much going on in the same page. And the grittiness of the illustrations makes it even worse. It was disappointing because it seemed like it could be a good story, if only I could follow it. Rating: Okay

Next, I read a few poetry books: The Iraqi Nights by Dunya Mikhail, Phenomenal Woman & His Day is Done by Maya Angelou, Once by Alice Walker, and The Panther and the Lash by Langston Hughes. I don't really remember these well enough to say anything besides that I enjoyed them and that they got me back into reading poetry. My favorite of these was Langston Hughes' poetry. Rating: Good/Really Good


Finally, I read The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami. This is a weird little book in which a boy goes to his library to get a few books but ends up getting locked up by a mean, old man in the library's twisty-turny, dark basement. There he meets a sheep-man and a girl who only appears at night. This was another disappointment for me. The story was like a combination of Kafka and Alice in Wonderland, which has great potential, but unfortunately, this just fell flat for me. It was all plot. I finished it within an hour and was left thinking, "so what?" What's the point? The book also has illustrations on almost every page, which I personally found very pointless. Rating: Okay



No comments:

Post a Comment